La oruga hambrienta in TK Maxx ;o)
In the sale (!) I found this Very Hungry Caterpillar felt set.
- telling the story to the class
- getting pupils to follow the story actively by adding / moving/ substituting the felt pieces
- animating – and because it’s a felt board, you can do it horizontally or vertically
- small group work
- independent play
Sad that Year 3 have finished with that story for the year and we’ll have to wait until next September to ry it out with them. perhaps it’s time I invaded Foundation stage again…
The Hungry Caterpillar is a great story to use with kids as it’s familiar and repetitive. The vocabulary is simple and everyday – numbers, colours, food – and it looks at healthy eating as well as the life cycle of the caterpillar / butterfly, so very cross curricular!
There are great resources all over the place for this story including
- videos on Youtube – one two three
- a whole series of lessons here
- a page full of ideas here
- a lovely song here – with music file too
- a powerpoint of the story in Spanish
- a PDF of a teaching sequence including cross curricular links
- another PDF with ideas and the pattern for a caterpillar mobile
- some art / craft activities to do with butterflies and caterpillars
And that’s just gleaned from a quick Google search!