I’m a Primary Language Teacher; help me out here!
June 26, 2016
| 1 Comment
On Wednesday I took part in the Babcock 4S conference at Horsley Park in Surrey. My presentation entitled I’m a Primary Language Teacher; help me out here! was well received and can be found below.
The main points were:
- primary language learning lays important foundations
- language learning is cyclical with topics being revisited but it is a continuum; it shouldn’t start again from scratch at Ks3.
- teaching primary languages can be lonely but there is support out there.
- PoS objectives need to be split into manageable chunks or stepping stones.
- pupils need to become increasingly independent; phonics and language learning skills from comparing and contrasting languages help this.
- it’s not just about vocabulary; grammar is needed (receptive and later productive) as cement otherwise it’s just a pile of bricks.
- intercultural understanding is vital.
I sketch noted the other sessions and will share them as soon as I have a moment to tidy them up a bit!