What I learned today pt2
However, a few other things that were interesting.
1. A useful reference for philosophy for kids – SAPERE
2. When we ask questions, we’re not comfortable with leaving silence. On average, we wait 0.9 sec before filling the silene with the answer. Thus, ‘learned helplessness’ starts. Sometimes we need time to think and process, sometimes we need to struggle for an answer to stimulate our brain.
3. The 4 Bs for finding things out
4. ask for three answers to a question – allows multiple answers, multiple contributions and multiple involvement.
5. Can you raise someone else’s self esteem? Surely it’s their self esteem so you can only create the conditions for improvement to be possible. As educators, we are literally moulding the brains that will decide the future by helping the neurones in brain amke trillions of connections.
6. The difference between the arrogant and confident person is that the arrogant person will make you feel worse about yourself.
7. Self esteem is determined by feeling loveable and capable. Childen need to be hugged and praised.
More brain stuff
There are three parts to the brain –
Reptilian (lizard) – fight flight hunt
Mammalian (dog) – emotions and memories
Neo cortex – the human bit
The PFC (pre frontal cortex) holds the key to our reactions. The amygdala ‘calms’ it from its rashness. So using STAR gives the amygdala a chance to work.
Some quotations to finish –
To teach you need to contain, entertain and explain.
Intelligence is what you use when you don’t know what to do. – Piaget