#LanguageWorld2011 – Make it real!
July 9, 2011
| Posted in ALL, Language World 2011, languages
Make it real
Use authentic materials to make it real! All sorts of reasons why online resources are particularly useful – one might be that textbooks are out of date as soon as they’re published!
See http://lizfotheringham.wordpress.com for slides and links
- odd one out
- skimming and scanning
- looking for similarities – cognates, near cognates
- Venn diagrams
- matching text and pictures
- statistics – making links with maths skills
- thinking skills – card sorting
- longer texts – blanking out words – you need to look at context, grammar (what part of speech is needed)
- reordering texts requiring looking at numbers, dates, sequencing words (trois ans plus tard)
- fortune lines – high and low points of a career
- colour coding texts / jigsaw reading
When using video
- using cards to match to stills from clips eg songs (Gregoire – Toi plus moi)
- songs (on video) can be used as listening as well as audio
- McDonalds advert – made into a sound file using RealPlayer – and then slow it down in Audacity to make it more accessible
3 thoughts on “#LanguageWorld2011 – Make it real!”
Pingback: Come to Language World 2019! – ¡Vámonos!